Friday, May 8, 2009

Home Again

I'm back from San Antonio. I had every intention to blog while I was down there, but our incredibly fancy hotel charges $12 a day for internet, and as you all know, I am CHEAP. So here is an update.

Like I said, the hotel was fancy. We stayed at the Marriot River Center. It's the one attached to the River Center Mall. We were on the 31st floor, with an amazing view of the River Walk and city skyline. The service was great. A few bummers though. We had trouble with getting hot water in the room. I let the tub run for 20 minutes, and then it finally started to get warm. This morning it took awhile again, the shower and the sink. The hotel had the super thin tissue paper as toilet paper. We had to prop the fridge door with a book to keep it closed. Other than that, and the $12 internet, it was good. They supplied Bath and Body Works soap, lotions, shampoo, and conditioner!!!

The convention hall was two streets over, or a short walk down the River Walk. My first class was on conservative dental treatment vs. extreme treatment. It was on the lower level of the hall, which had a view of and access to the River Walk.


This was right outside the door of my first class. I spent break taking pictures of it. When I get those pictures loaded, I'll post some.



It was hard to concentrate with this right behind me during a semi-boring class. When the speaker went overtime, into lunch time, this river was even more tempting. I couldn't skip the end of the class because they announce a code at the end, which I have to put in the system some how and get credit for the class. That is clever, but was quite annoying as my stomach was louder than the speaker.

I ran back to the mall and met up with my co-workers in the food court for lunch. We then went back to the room for a quick break, then back to classes. The afternoon class was about communicating with the lab properly. It was interesting, but made me question any future involving me working in a dental lab.

The first night, we ate on the River Walk, good mexican food. I got too hot, and felt icky. So I retired early. The second night the TDA provided dinner. Buffet style!!! After eating Thursday, I went shopping in the mall. Got a few things from the Gap, good sale. We meant to watch movies in the room, but never got around to it. This morning I got Starbucks from the lobby of our hotel. We spent the rest of the morning walking around the Exhibit Hall. Some good samples, not much though. Placed a couple orders for stuff we need at the office, nothing new.

We got in shortly after lunch. I picked Dottie up from the vet. She was excited, as usual. The ladies who work there had fun with her. They let her out often, played with her, and fixed her hair with a cute little yellow ribbon. She's doing well, she only checks her stitches every now and then. I don't think it slowed her down any.

After bringing Dottie home, I went to Harker Heights and saw Star Trek. It was great. I liked all the little tie ins from the series, nice touch. The kid who plays Cpt. Kirk did a good job. He portrayed a young Shatner (?) very well. Spock was also wonderfully played. Of the better movies I've seen in a long while.

I had to laugh when I went out to my Jeep after the movie. I had parked by a fellow Wrangler, and we were joined by three more. It's a Jeep thing, and it's fun. We all ended up by our Jeeps at the same time, minus one. We all just smiled, exchanged a few "Nice Jeep"s, and went our separate ways.

That's all for now, Dottie is looking for snack, and I'm ready for bed.

-Oh yeah, this pic is me on break the first day by the river. You can't see it, but I promise it's behind me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment