Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm not going anywhere.

I came home after work today and got cleaned up. I have plans! Colt and I are to go to Austin and have dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, La Madeleine. I've been wanting to go there for some time now. Just wait for Colt to get home, then we're off.

Nope.

Colt called to let me know one of his friends needs to barrow our internet to download something massive to their hard-drive. That's cool, I'll leave them a key. Hopefully Scooter won't maul them when they come in. Colt's friend arrives before him, so I get to entertain until he gets home to assist with the set up. Not a big deal, I down a few granola bars to preserve my appetite. Colt gets home after some time and they talk for some more time. I excuse myself and goof off in my "office" until my stomach can wait no longer. Colt gets my hints and gets ready to go.

Phone rings, dare I answer? I do not, but Colt does. Another friend in distress. This one is a bigger deal, leaving a key won't fix it. He is having truck trouble. So I eat another granola bar and a hershey to chase it with. "I'll have this done in no time at all" Colt exclaims. I went back upstairs and doll up a bit more. After that, I check and reply to a few e-mails and do some reading. Surely they're done. Down the stairs I go. I grab my jacket, purse, keys, and some CD's for the ride. Locking the door behind me, I go "check" on their progress, rattling my keys as I go. I find the two of them under the hood of a pretty little S10, mumbling something about fuel pumps and relays. With a clank, Colt pulls the air intake from under the hood and tosses it into the yard. I take it that we're not going anywhere anytime soon.

"I'm sorry to mess up your dinner plans," Dathen frowns. Now I feel bad, being in a hurry to run him off when he's in a bind. He just got the engine tuned up and all kinds of stuff fixed on it. He was so happy to get his truck back. On his way home, after the shop closed of course, it starts acting up.

"No worries, I'll go grab some pizzas for all of us. Where do you want it from?" I offer. Ooops, his truck took it's last breath in front of my Jeep, I'm blocked in. Delivery it is. So I go back in and order some Dominoes. With dinner on it's way, I take myself back outside to hold the flashlight and run tools back and forth. I have to say, despite the situation of a sickly truck, they guys still have a good sense of humor. I don't think I'll ever understand all of their antics, but I'm sure I will always find them humorous.

Pizza's here, delivery lady plays with Scooter (such a ham of a cat), so it's time to feast. Now I get to hold the hot pizza box and laugh with the makeshift mechanics once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment