Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Home Again

Our trip to and from Houston was uneventful, thankfully. It seems that every time we go there to the assemblies, something happens. Either our vehicle gives us trouble, we forget to pack something, or we get sick each time we go. We took the Wrangler, who did just fine. It hit 19k miles on the way home, that was sad. It is an '06 so the low miles are still hard to pass by. Good Juug. I drove the whole way down. We found the hotel easily. We stayed at the Hilton on Westheimer. It was nice. No breakfast though, unless you wanted to pay $12 a plate. I'm cheap, so I brought a coffee cake from home. I forgot silverware, so I cut the cake with a coffee stirrer. The room was cozy. Friday night, after checking in and unpacking, we went to Denny's for dinner. It was the only place open on Christmas. It was good, but we both felt sick after dinner, I think we just ate too fast. We did learn, however, a few pointers on driving in Houston. One, don't use your turn signals. We turned the blinker on to turn, as we have been taught, and were honked at. Stop action driving is the way to go there. Second, U turns are always acceptable. Everyone one does it, anywhere! Third, keep a close eye on the road in front of you, it may stop at any given time without warning. We lost a lane, the one we were in, naturally, and there was no sign to tells us of the upcoming end. I was all for taking the median, but then came a bridge and creek, no so good. So Colt busts a U-turn and saves the day. Stupid Houston roads. It was like a video game, the crazy taxi one. Drive or Die! Pot holes that reached China. So glad we were in the Jeep, it kept up with the madness.
We were late to the Saturday session, Juug was low on gas and we were having issues finding a safe looking gas station. Finally to the Assembly Hall, we get to our seats, near the front. Wonderful program both days. Easy to pay attention. We helped with cleaning the upstairs dinning area each day. There was a good turn out so we had lots of help. Funny how much fun you can have while cleaning! I like cleaning the dinning area, my usually annoying perfectionist side is of good use there. The tables and chairs are supposed to line up just so, and that is a weird joy to me. Dillon and Bro. Layton would stand at the ends of the rows and direct us to which table or chair was out of place, and we would make the needed adjustments. When we were done, the dinning area was a thing of beauty! Bro. Layton joked about me being overly concerned with everything lining up, asking if I do the same at home. I laughed and told him no, but Dillon and Colt quickly stated I'm just as picky with my own table and everything else in the house.

Saturday night we ate a Wing Stop in Sugarland with Trey and Alicia. It wasn't as good as the one here at home, but it was still yummy. A quick trip to Target for a new shirt for Colt (the one I packed for the next day had an accident) and a pen for me (the one I had was writing poorly) and then back to the Hotel. I had to laugh, while we were in Target, some one hit a cart and wedged it against the front of the Jeep. When they pulled back, they noticed my license plate was hanging by one bolt. It has been like this for some time, but they didn't know that. They fixed my plate! Well, it held for a little bit. It needs serious help since I ripped it off on a trail. It just won't stay in place. Trey even fixed it at one point, but it only held for a few miles down the road. As long as the last bolt holds, I'm good. I love how may people have to point it out, asking if I know my plate is about to fall off. I just smile and tell them it's battle damage, something to be proud of.

Back at the Hotel Saturday night, I get ready for bed and Colt goes off with Dathen to raid the Borders that was going out of business. I packed most everything Saturday night so we were able to get up and out early Sunday. We get to the Assembly Hall with plenty of time to spare, but I go without coffee. I survived some how. I had to change shoes at lunch. I didn't realize I had blisters until I took my shoes off to climb in the Jeep at lunch (looking for batteries for my camera). So I put on socks and my boots from the prior day and went back inside. They weren't new shoes, so I don't know what started the problem, but the boots did just fine. You couldn't see my shoes anyway for the length of my skirt. Quick lunch and back upstairs to clean. Cleaning took longer the second day, but we got it done.

After the session, we head home. Dinner at Tony's in Brenham, then back on the road. Colt drove home, I played with the radio the whole way. When we got home, the cats nearly mauled us. I'm sure they ate all their food the first day, although I gave them enough to last nearly a week (finishing all the supply of cat food in the house). So Colt got to go to the store after we dragged all our luggage in the house. The cats yelled at me throughout the entire time he was at the store. When he got back and fed them, they only ate a few bites and then played in the empty suitcase. Crazy cats. All the critters were over feed that night, making up for our time away. I overfilled all their bowls before we left, but our pets are gluttons and didn't ration.

I worked Monday and Tuesday, and am now off for the rest of the week. I went in service today with Dillon and Abby. It was a good morning. We mainly did RV's, but it was still nice. I'm supposed to do early work tomorrow, so I think I'm back on my old service schedule. This is thanks to the session this past weekend. I never thought I would enjoy a 'kick in the teeth' so much! But when it's needed, it's needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment