Monday, February 15, 2010

Loaded Weekend

I finally accomplished something! I had the whole weekend to myself and actually put it to use. Colt left with Dillon Thursday for Albuquerque (they are on their way home as I write), and I was off Friday. I already mentioned Friday's activities in the earlier posting (just add tons of laundry), so I'll skip to Saturday. I went to the Dollar Store and loaded up on plastic bins and attacked all the closets and the pantry. It took two trash bags and a couple of boxes of junk before I was satisfied with my work. I guess I skipped spring cleaning last year and this weekend paid for it. So the closets and the kitchen pantry now have floors and room for any more items that may find their way into the house. I scrubbed shelves and floors alike, until they sparkled and smelled of Greenworks and Clorox.

My trip to Hobby Lobby was productive. They had baskets and frames on 50% off, so I stocked up, naturally. Saturday late afternoon and early evening was spent pouring through photo albums and picture boxes to find the best pictures to use. After much deliberation, five pictures were chosen to go along the staircase, and four others for different frames. I may have to make another trip to HL for more frames! The trick was to find pictures to go in the frames tall wise, most of my favorites were long wise. That means I'll just have to get some horizontal frames on the next trip. It took me longer than it should have to hang the ones on the wall, over the stairs. I measured too many times, always getting a different result. I ended up counting the stairs and using them as markers. It was easy after that. Then, when I turned on the light downstairs, the shadow of the railing worked as a level (which I had already used my trusty level). The cats helped, of course, as comic relief. I locked the tape measure to the length I needed and set it on the stairs. Scooter and Oliver entertained themselves with it, knocking it down the stairs, chasing it the whole way. I was an absolute dork and retrieved it each time and returned it to the stair I was working on, only to have to go and get it again once the kitties attacked it. Such goobers.

Saturday night was pizza with Mom & Dad, and then watching Dad install the new hood vent. This is the one we bought some time ago but never put in. I had gotten ready to do it myself several times, then chickened out after realizing it required messing with electrical wires. I'm such a klutz, I just picture myself getting fried and burning the house down with all my grace (or lack there of). So, Dad came and put it in for me. It looks so much better than the nasty old ugly one that is now waiting for the garbage man. It is so pretty, I might just use my kitchen! Hooray for the nice hood vent and Dad's hard work. Such a trooper.

Sunday was mainly spent cleaning the rest of the house from top to bottom. The vacuum made multiple appearances and the Roomba kept busy as well. I watched Prince Caspian during a snack break, eating the cinnamon rolls before they went bad. Made a meal of them! Dinner was soup with pb & honey sandwich since I had cleaned out the fridge and left little behind to choose from.

So the weekend flew by, and the house is nearly spotless. Let's see how long it will stay that way. Now is time for dinner, leaning towards the local BBQ place. I'm off tomorrow. I hope to sit still for a day. Not likely! So many ideas, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment