Thursday, November 18, 2010

Over My Head

So, like I said earlier: I signed up for the National Novel Writing Month, aka NaNoWriMo. I'm having fun. It's a bit of a challenge. The story is coming together, but I can't sit still long enough to do any writing. I just knew I could do it, 50k words in 30 days, but I only had 16 days since I had a late start. It didn't sound too bad. But, here I am with 12 days to go and I'm sitting with 12014 words. That means I have 37986 more to go. That's a lot. The recommended words per day to finish on time is 3166. Considering I've been writing for four days, I've actually covered quite a bit of ground. What is daunting is how quickly time is running out. I start to get overwhelmed, then remember next week is a holiday, thus I will have five days straight to work on it. That helps. Then I realize that if I don't nearly finish it in those five days, I'm really out of time. That's what gets me. I guess my point is that I'm having fun and really enjoying this challenge, writing marathon if you would, but I'm also freaked that the month is almost up. Hopefully next year I'll be more prepared. Their website has been encouraging, I'm not the only one who got aboard late, and I'm not the only one with a dwindling word count. But everyone finds the bright side and shares their excitement. All around a good deal, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment