Friday, April 22, 2011

Reading

While my book is in the hands of an amazing editor, I've taken a bit of a break from writing to do some reading. I had trouble settling down with a book. I guess I've gotten picky in my reading. I don't like cursing or sex or violence in what I read. I think it's because I follow the story so closely and am uncomfortable with being around any of that. There were plenty of good stories that I've started but couldn't get past the smaller details that honestly didn't need to be in there. Until I picked up the Class Collision series. Two books. Part one Fall From Grace, the second is Phoenix Rising. They are by Annette Mackey.

I picked up Fall From Grace only because it was $.99 on Kindle. I don't base my reading choices solely on their descriptions and reviews anymore because I don't always agree with them. There were mainly good reviews though. It was hard to get into it at first. It starts out building the character, David, and he actually a bit of a pest. Which is what the writer was getting at. It is set in the time of the Great Depression. David is from a very wealthy family and he is totally spoiled and rude. His family is adorable, but he himself is a pill. He and his brother, Alex, are kidnapped for ransom. Alex manages to escape but David is left for dead by the kidnappers and ends up lost to the world. It follows his story as he slowly realizes the world isn't as kind as he had thought back at home. He goes through some awful things and grows into a very insecure and completely walled off young man. The story turns when he meets Linda as he works a ranch in Wyoming.

Book two, Phoenix Rising, picks up as David and Linda start a new life on the run. They both have ghosts from their pasts that they carry with them and secretly struggle with. Linda was annoying at first, but she becomes a stronger character. David is determined to protect her from everything he lived through and all she wants to know is what has him so removed. Their relationship is up and down and believable. They are both adorable in the second book. David wants to see his real family again, but is ashamed of how 'simple' a person he is. He goes back to school at Washington University while working for Boeing. World War II starts and throws his life off kilter again. He does well at first, then his old ghosts combine with new scars and he is a mess once again. All that he does and goes through to get his world back on its axis is heartening. I loved his and Linda's self discoveries along the way and they grow even more admirable. There was some more difficult reading in it when the details of the war came into focus for several chapters, but seeing it from David's point of view was how it needed to be done.

The books bounce around with the point of views, and that usually bugs the tar out of me. I like books to follow one mind, makes it easier sympathies with the main character. It is also that I've picked up with my "how to write" studies. POV's are a touchy subject for me. The first manuscript I wrote, before any classes or studying, was from multiple POV's. I didn't realize how distracting it was until it was pointed out, so now the head-hopping gets me. It got me at first with these books, but I got over it. The story was too sincere. I don't always recommend books because I know everyone has their niche, but this is one I would suggest. David's struggles and Linda's side are both relatable and easy to feel for. This is one I wished I bought in physical book form so I could pass them on. Would definitely read them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment