Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Farewell, Little Bird

I have officially missed the deadline for entering my book in the New York Book Festival. The cut off was today at 5pm. I didn't think I was going to make it, but I still hoped I would. I'm a little disappointed over that. A tad bit of moping going on, but I'll move on.

I did, however, accomplish one good deed this week. I came across a baby bird in the yard two nights ago. I know you're supposed to leave them alone and the mom will keep feeding them, but two cats were already closing in on it. I chased them off and looked for the nest it might have fallen out of. I turned back around in time to swat one of the cats who had snuck up again. When I knelt down to check the bird, it waddled over and snuggled against my hand. Oh joy. Needless to say, I took him in and adopted him. Ugly George. I figured he was booted out of his nest because he is super demanding and not at all cute. You can be high maintenance if you're adorable, and you can be homely if you're easy going. But being scraggly and loud and obnoxious will get you nowhere, except booted down the food chain maybe. After making a few calls, it was arranged for George to go to my sister's house until he is ready to fly off into the big world. She has already fattened him up. She has mentioned that he is trying his wings out and might be taking some flying lessons here before too much longer. I'm just glad he didn't turn into cat chow. Poor little guy. Oh, and he's some kind of a dove. So he'll be handsome one day.

And the name George was chosen because I had just watched One Fine Day which had George Clooney in it. I had never heard of that movie before and my coworker recommended it. I loved it. I will readily watch it again and again. It was so funny and sweet. If you haven't seen it, do it. Now. Streaming on Netflix. It's from '96, I believe. Anyway, George Clooney. Those big brown eyes. That's all I'll say.

I finally got a battery for my Mac. Bumpy now has mobility again. The old battery lasted maybe 10 minutes, but that was pretty much standby. Now I can do some writing on the back porch or front step ... if it wasn't already so warm out. Maybe it'll cool down this weekend. Long weekend! Off Friday & Monday! So tomorrow is a Thursday disguised as a Friday. I like those.

In other news: I am no longer one with the iPhone. Little Bird was it's name, and it has a new home. I've had it for a little over 3 years now. It was only an iPod for a few months when we switched carriers. Then I got it unlocked, or jail-broke, which ever, and used it again. It was admittedly slow, but I loved that little phone. It bricked a few times, but nothing compared to the Slide I lugged around for two months. Once I got Little Bird back, I was so much happier with our carrier. But, we dumped them and went with a new group. The service is already better. We can actually make calls in the house and send & receive messages, you know, like what we pay too much for? I now am trying to get accustomed to a Samsung Epic 4G. Don't ask what it is, I'm reading the box. I've never heard of it. But it does the whole 'phone' thing and text and email and facebook and twitter like it's nothing. Now if only I could remember which ring tone is mine ...

So, farewell, Little Bird. It's been a grand three years with you constantly on my person. You've kept me company and prevented me from being too overly bored on long car trips and extended waiting room visits. While your camera was much to be desired, you saw many, many sights with me. Florida will always remind me of you, along with every trip to Dallas and Austin. You survived being chucked across the Wrangler multiple times, and even a blow from the tire iron. That says a lot. While I thought I was irrevocably infatuated with my Rokr before you came along, you helped me move on quickly and taught me that there is no such thing as one true love when it comes to technology. You will be missed, but not mourned. I know you've gone to a good home, your new owner skipping out to their car after picking you up tells me that much, and you will continue to be loved. Angry Birds will not get any rest, unless your new owner forgets to plug you in.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to a 'real' phone ;)
    And don't worry... Angry Birds is on Android as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jared: Gee, thanks! I'll get this thing figured out sooner or later. I'm such a Mac fan it's a little rough. Loving the slide out keyboard though. (I'm lousy at angry birds and I can't get it to load Words)

    ReplyDelete