Wednesday, June 8, 2011

(N)ever After

After I promised myself I wouldn't make anymore changes to Where to Belong until my editor finished with it, I couldn't help myself. One scene was driving me batty. No matter how I worded it or arranged it, it was too talky. I kept slimming it down until I simply gave up and decided it was as good as it was going to get. It wasn't even that big of a scene. Too many pages of my poor little notebook were used up by me scribbling something down and then scratching it out. That was until about 11:30 last night. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've not been sleeping well. I tried to go to bed early last night in hopes to get more than 4 hours of good rest. Around 11, as I stared blankly at the merciless clock, I started thinking on that blame scene again. Then it hit me. I had it. So I got up and woke the mac and hacked at the problem scene for a short time. I think I might have figured it out. Less talking, more doing, easier flow. Then I sat there and shook my head at the pathetically simple correction. I tried to summon a few of my readers and got nothing. That's what I get for recruiting responsible adults to sample my writings. They were all in bed and did a very good job of ignoring me. What I learned from this experience: Edits, revisions, and rewrites never truly end. Never. I'm sure I'll still find something I want to tweak after I have a bound book in my hands.

It's hot out. Not even officially Summer yet and it's 100 degrees out there. So glad I work indoors. Sorry for all those who don't. Yuck. Dillon works in a non-ac building. So does dad. Gwen delivers mail so she is in the heat all day. That's rough. Thus I probably shouldn't complain that there is an extremely annoying rattle in the AC of my Jeep. It started out as a vague ticking and has now become an obnoxious knocking. It is something that has come loose in the floor vent on the passenger side. Used to, I could cut off the air and let it wind down, then it won't come back until I hit a jarring bump. It's just plain there anymore. Considered taking a Louisville to it. But I can't get a good angle on it. (kidding) So the Jeep is on its way to get checked out. I can't turn the radio up enough to drown it out, that's why I am really hoping they can fix it tonight.

I haven't watched any new movies lately. I've been re-watching Kyle XY on Netflix. I forgot I had already bought the 1st season on iTunes. I didn't realize they had a second season. Even a third. I'm a little behind. It's hard to stick to watching only a few episodes and taking a break from it. I can easily watch it all day. That might have been what happened Saturday.

I ordered a new book two weeks ago and it hasn't come in yet. Who takes two weeks to deliver something these days? I don't even want the book anymore. Six others are sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. But I keep re-reading Phoenix Rising and Inside Out. I have a sample of Divergent on the Kindle that I haven't started yet. I know I'll want to pick up the whole book and then I feel bad for the other books just sitting there waiting for me. Too many good books and not enough time.

A certain article about YA books has made a lot of waves lately. It goes along with the whole 'banning books' and bad reviews to me. I have a problem with people trying to pass their opinion off as fact. If you don't like a book (or movie or song or music or whatever) stop reading it! Don't hate on it. Put it down and move on to something else. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should. Yes, some books (or whatever) have contents that are questionable, but who am I to say anyone else shouldn't read it? That's why there is variety. I don't watch scary movies or read certain books because I know I have a wild and overactive imagination and such movies and books will bother me. But I don't try to keep others from watching or reading them. I also know a book or a movie is purely fictional. Made up. Fantasy. I don't expect any portion of the chosen entertainment to actually happen to me or take place in the real world.

And I know the ones who created these stories are not the characters they've written. The protagonist in Where to Belong has a history of opening anything that is locked, be it a safe or car or building; I lock myself out of my Jeep on a regular basis. I have another character who has an amazing collection of motorcycles in his garage; I'm scared to death of riding a bike. Still another character is in a rock band ... I'm sure you get the picture. As a writer, I can see a part of me in each of the characters I've written. But they are not me. They are not real. They exist purely in my head and I've written them out in hopes of someone finding some sort of entertainment or escape with them. But that is also why I am protective of them and know I will breakdown and sob like a baby if anyone gives them a negative review. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I only ask that you remember that those you are criticizing or reviewing have invested in these stories. Be considerate, be gentle.

Getting off soapbox ...

No comments:

Post a Comment