Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Which Group?

I am currently double checking my formatting and such of Where to Belong. Planning to have it all wrapped up and prettied up before much longer. Hoping to have it out before the end of July. I was sure I would have it up by the end of this month. Glad I didn't promise anything there, just to myself. It is, at the moment, with an author friend of mine. He is looking it over to for me. He has been writing for much longer than I have. He also read some of my first projects. I haven't heard much from him since he took it off my hands except that he can tell I've been working on my craft. I think that's a good thing. I'm supposed to get one of his newest proofs to look over and grade. I hope I can actually help. If not, it is still exciting to converse with a real writer in the flesh. I've met many via phone, skype, twitter, facebook & what not. I have to say it is much more relatable to share stories face to face. For once I had someone who knew exactly what I was talking about. The usual nay-sayers backed off for a few hours and let us be. That was nice. Colt laughed about my fan girl attitude. I explained that it was like him finding the one Mac guy or Star Trek guy in a room of thousands. It takes a bit not to latch on to their leg and beg them to take you home with them. This friend had offered to help before and sent care packages to see me through my beginner phase. I didn't let him in as often as he offered because I thought he was rubbing his success in my newbie face. I was wrong. He had some amazing and encouraging experiences to share, and some real heart breakers too. I hope I get to talk with him some more before he heads back home (visiting from Michigan).

Meanwhile, I have a bit of a conundrum. I am dragging my feet horribly on my newest writing project. I have it plotted out, but I am not able to concentrate on actually writing the manuscript. I need a push. And from past experience, I know I need a challenge. Along comes ROW80. Round of Words in 80 days. This is so very tempting. Starts July 4th and I set my own goal. Runs for a few months so it isn't too hectic. There seems to be a good support group with it, other writers that are signed up for it. I've been debating on throwing my hat in the ring. I've never worked with this group before so I have the whole "will I fit in" complex going on. Second option is Camp NaNoWriMo. It starts Friday, July 1st. I know this group. I've worked with them before. I will work with them for sure come November. But ... 50k words in 30 days might not be achievable while I'm still finishing up Where to Belong. And I hate signing up for something I can't complete.

ROW80 I set my own rate, sign in twice a week, have to blog about progress, twitter based support group.

Camp NaNoWriMo will be more of a challenge, might be too much of a challenge, but I know the group and had a blast last time I worked with them.

I have a few more days to weigh my options. There are other things going on that I need to be a part of around here so I'm leaning towards ROW. I'll keep you posted.

In other news ... The Boo party went very well. The bbq was absolutely perfect. The cake was fun. The Wall of Dillon was a pain to make but a great conversation piece (now to pull all the pictures off). He LOVES the snow board. The bag it came with had backpack straps and he lugged it around for awhile grinning at everyone. I missed him stuffing it into the Mini Cooper, so sorry I don't have any pictures of that. Only three people cried: Mom when a friend asked her how she was handling her baby moving away, Grandma when Dillon hugged her before she went home, and Kile when Aunt Jo got onto him for playing in the bubble lamp. But that's ok, Aunt Jo has made us all cry at some point as children. It's a rite of passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment