Sunday, August 14, 2011

#Row80 Check-In 8/14 and Loss

Wednesday night saw a few hundred words, as did Thursday. But Thursday night, one of our cats got really sick. My husband took him to the emergency vet and they diagnosed him with a blood clot in his spine. There is a big technical name for it, but I haven't bothered to remember what it is. They were optimistic at first, sure they could break up the clot and send him home the next day with a lifetime supply of blood thinners to prevent another from forming. He took a turn for the worse Friday and they gave him 24 hrs. I just knew he was going to come home. He was an absolute pistol and nothing kept him down. Even with them saying how much damage the clot had caused, he was acting no different, minus being paralyzed from his middle back. He was his usual chatty, squirmy, goofy self.

That just might have been the hardest thing my husband and I have ever done. We buried him yesterday. The past two days have been terrible without the little (not that he was little) stinker following us around and yowling and playing. He was only seven years old and in good health. It was a total shocker. Neither of us were prepared for it. Our other cat, Oliver, has been hiding ever since. He comes out at 5am to cuddle and play, then disappears. He's hardly touched his food. I think we all are missing Scooter tremendously. Seven years is not long at all for a cat, and it wasn't nearly long enough for us. But in that short amount of time he managed to win over everyone who ever met him. This isn't our house, it was Scooter's. These past three nights have been hard to sleep without him fighting me for my pillow. He was my constant shadow. Every time we sat down to watch a movie, play a game, read, whatever, he was right there. Even my writing. He had a chair in my office next to mine where he would curl up and snore while I wrote. So I haven't written since. I've only gone into my office to feed the tort.

So I haven't accomplished anything in my goals. I haven't gotten my computer to check Twitter or anything, so if I've missed anyone, my apologies. I'm downstairs blogging on my hubby's computer at the moment. I'll probably check in with everyone tonight. Hoping everyone else has a much better check in. I'll try to get around to everyone's before Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. Wendy, such sad news! Pets are just so much of one's life; anyone who has pets understands that.

    I'm glad you checked in, because this is a very supportive community, and all of us understand about times like this.

    I hope this week is better for you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I a sorry you have had such a horrible week. It can really knock you when you lose a pet as they are such a constant presence in your day to day life.

    I hope you start to feel better and the next week is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I know how that feels. I hope that you have a better week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. I am a cat person myself and have had to say goodbye to two cats so far. It is very hard. Take your time to grieve. You'll get back into the writing soon. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you. So sorry for your loss. Pets are family. Sending a virtual hug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. terrible week - tis heartbreaking when they grow old but to lose a friend so young is worse and so unexpected. Your other cat might be depressed for a while it happens when they lose their company - keep strong and grounded - all the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences on your loss. Your other cat will help you through this, as you will help him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry Wendy for your and Colt's loss. I went through the same thing with Whiskers at 12 yrs old (he developed cancer but we didn't know until the cavity around his lungs filled with fluid... I was devastated), and while things got easier I'll never forget him.

    ReplyDelete