Thursday, September 29, 2011

And Then Came a Thing Called Time

Whirlwind. That is how I would describe the past several months. Days ran together. Time got away from me. I often found myself standing lost and dazed wondering what else I have forgotten. Late nights and early mornings became the norm. Between situating things at work, home, writing, and everything in between, I was stretching myself thin.

This week has been the first of chaos-free days. It has been great. I feel like I've been holding my breath for months and am now finally breathing again. I just might have this new lifestyle figured out. Well, at least beginning to. I don't want to say it too loudly because my experience as of late has been that once you think you have something under control is usually when it falls apart.

I've learned much. Be it about myself, other people, the writing world, or the big picture, I have been taking notes. I've had to take the bad with the good. The good makes it worth it. One of my favorite moments came this week when my sister called me to let me know she has been reading my book. It apparently got her into trouble. She was up late the other night reading when she came upon one of the major plot twists in the story. She jumped up yelling and dropped the book, waking her sleeping husband. He took the book away claiming it was way past bedtime. She said she couldn't sleep for wanting to keep reading. Her plan was to dive back in at her lunch break. So she called me to let me know she was sneaking reading sessions to hold her over until she could sit down with it. That made my day.

I am amazed everyday to hear from people who have read Where to Belong. I've been surprised many times over. When I first released it, I cringed every time someone said they were downloading or picking up a copy. I was constantly wishing I could take it all back. I was not ready to let people see this story. I still cringe, but now I'm equally excited to see what they think.

Copies have been shipped to reviewers. I thought the wait would do me in, but it has not. This is where the breathing began. I've once again reached a resting point in the process. Yes, I'm still working at publicizing it. I'm learning to trust the readers. That will be my most powerful resource. I know that is where I pick up new reads, going by what others have recommended. It's another marathon, not a sprint.

Something else that I've come to accept recently is letting the writing happen. I try to stick with one WIP and give it all my concentration. That will not happen. I've always had at least two stories going at once. One will often triumph over the other, but it helps with when I get stuck. I'll set one aside and pick up another. I switch between the two when I feel one is progressing better than the other. With Oneiros, I think that was my problem during ROW80. I would not let myself take on other stories. It killed my creativity. But I'm back to juggling two stories and they have both grown by leaps and bounds.

Oneiros is the more inspiring tale for me. The newer one, Quisling, will be a challenge. I've stopped projects like this one before because of it turning too dark for my comfort. While it has more conflict and angst than the recent stories, I'm hoping to keep it from becoming too bleak and depressing. The first story I ever wrote is on hold because of this. It deals with treachery and betrayals on many levels. I finished Book 1 in the series and started into the second. But 1 ends on such a heart breaker that the second was difficult for me to keep going. I'm working up the courage to get back to it. As long as I keep up this pace, I'm thinking early next year. I've had several Betas asking about it. That tells me I did something right. I need to finish it.

On to the home front. Yep, it's still there. Dottie went home Tuesday. I have to admit that I miss her. She was good company. But since her leaving, Oliver has made more appearances. He likes the quiet. I can't blame him. Diesel is a handful. He keeps me on my toes. He takes anything he can carry and hides it. We've lost keys, jewelry, computer tools, cables, notes, and even my iPod at one point. He eventually brings it back, but not always at convenient times. I've found his stashes here and there. But then he changes it up and builds another stash. I've never had a cat do this before. It is usually comical, but it does get old. We are now more careful about where we set things down.

Colt has been busy after hours working on peoples' computers. He keeps saying he won't take on anymore jobs, but he brings them home anyway. I think it's the challenge of the more recent ones. This week has been a few laptops and iPhones. One laptop in particular blew my mind. It was deemed unrepairable by several techs. The value of the machine was less than the cost of the parts needed to fix it. Shame, it's a pretty Toshiba. Portable desk top is what he called it. The techs said they were done with it and he could do whatever he wanted with it. It was his. So he brought it home and took it apart the other night during my writing binge. He took over the kitchen and dining room with it. He said it was over heating quickly and one of the video cards were fried. So after dismantling it, he cleaned it and worked on the fans and whatever else cools it (I don't know what they're called). When he looked at the video card, he said he thought he could fix it. He turned on the oven. Yep, he baked the video card. That, he said, reflowed the solder. After letting it cool, he put the machine back together. The Toshiba booted up and he played Tomb Raider on it. So our house reeked of burnt PC, but he has a new computer. He said he isn't sure how long it will work. It could easily die within a day or last several more years. Even still, I'm impressed.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate, not only do I live my life in a losing hours sort of way; filled with late nights, early mornings, and never enough time for anything--My husband also repairs computer for the sport of it. He is really a software guy but since he doesn't get to play around with the insides of computers at work he likes to take them home. SIGH

    ReplyDelete