Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#Row80 Check-In 9/21

I plan to post again tomorrow because this is a poor check in. I refuse to end this round on such a bummed note. This check-in was put off all day because I just knew I would be able to have something good to report if I waited longer. But I never opened my WIP today. Ok, well, I opened it and changed a few words around and took out a little bit that just wasn't sitting right with me. So I actually lost words today. Go figure. But I have one more day and plan to binge on words for the time I have left.

Ipod is on, ear buds in, lap top in my lap. Everyone is fed (kitchen isn't cleaned yet), laundry is done, and daily vacuuming is complete. So besides the kitchen and a few emails, I'm ready to attack the word count for one last desperate attempt to hit my goal.

Oneiros sits at 26,460 words. I wanted at least 50k. That will most likely not happen, but oh well. It will get my attention until November. I think I will be back for the next round and mold Oneiros around NaNo and "Always and Forever". This will fry my brain because "Always and Forever" is set in the same setting as "Where to Belong", Chicago (and other real places). But Oneiros is straight up fantasy. I love creating this odd world, but it takes a little more concentration to make sure I follow my own rules. My five other story lines are fantasy. Why WtB and AaF hit me, I have no idea.

And to go along with that, I have another story line teasing me. It is more Dystopian. The only thing I love more than a good Dystopian is a good Steampunk. So I am excited about this. But I have all these other stories in line already. Thus, I'm going to let it stew a little while longer, maybe jot in a notepad, until I clear some space for it. I'm afraid to take too many stories on at once. I feel they will all suffer for my cramming them together. I have one that has been brewing for nearly a decade and can easily be a three part saga and I don't know when I will be able to focus on it long enough to make it as epic as I think it can be. This one already has its own land, society, laws, practices, faiths, language, rituals, and customs. It's weird to have this whole other world slowly building. But I love it. It is definitely my "baby". So I want to get these other stories squared away so I can let this one take over.

And I want to say, Thank you," to my fellow ROWers. You have been very encouraging throughout this entire adventure. Looking forward to the next round. And, "Thank you," to my friends and family who have rallied behind me and my hobby. Many have really come out and shown their support. It means a lot to me. I had my first encounter with a "Fan" today and was sad no one was around to see it. While it totally made my day to hear this young man relate his favorite parts of the story and the areas he could relate to, I wanted all of you to hear it too, because I couldn't have done this without you.

You all rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment