Sunday, October 30, 2011

#Row80 Check-In 10/30

Another weak check-in for me.  But, first off, I just want to say I am happy to see so many taking part in ROW80.  Very nice turn out for this round.  Second, I went against nature.  I've started to outline.  I've always been a pantser when it come to writing.  This is odd because I am incredibly, if not painfully, scheduled and structured in every aspect of my life.  I found the trick with setting up an outline.  Notebook.  I have notebooks stashed all over the house and in my Jeep for quick ideas.  I pulled out one and sat down with it to outline.  It worked.  Something about longhand and no blinking cursor staring at me.  I've always said I would never take my writing to bed.  It has its places and my bedroom is not one of them.  I'm weird, I know.  But the notebook came to bed with me last night.  With the help of the blaring iPod, I was able to sketch out something that resembles an outline.  Then fell asleep with it.  Hubby said it's safe to say I am officially a writer.  He still doesn't read my work, but he is a little more supportive of it.  That helps a lot.

As for the word count.  Not so hot this time around.  Things are still rough and the situation with Gram is constantly changing.  The muse has been less than active as of late.

26th - 1553
27th - 1087
28th -644
29th - 0

I'm not a fan of the falling word count.  Hoping I can concentrate a bit more come the start of NaNo.  I'm still not very optimistic about it this time around, but I'm going to try.

4 comments:

  1. Great job on changing things up. I'm a panster, too (or as Allison Brennan calls it, an organic writer), but I found some worksheets on Kait Nolan's site that really helped me plot out my current book.

    And don't sweat too much about the word count. The important thing is you're writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're down about the falling word count, BUT let's look at it another way - that's one heck of a cumulative word count for the week! Re. the falling word count, maybe you just needed more direction and that's where the outline comes in? As someone who mostly pantsed, I'm finding outlines to be quite helpful, and very motivating.

    Keep up the great work! You can definitely call yourself a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your word counts are good and I know what you mean about a falling word count but 3 of the 4 days HAD a word count, that is the main thing!

    Glad you found an outline is working for you, I am still finding my way with how I best prepare for writing, lets hope I have done enough!

    I hope the start of NaNo goes really well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look at that word count and I see a wave. You know the kind I'm talking about. The wave slows down.. it slowly builds.. and them WHAM! It hits the shore with tons of force. Your word count wham is coming. Just stick with it. :)

    ReplyDelete