Sunday, November 27, 2011

#Row80 11/27 & #NaNoWriMo

First off, no, I did not learn my lesson.  I'm still unprepared for this check-in.  I only got around to a very small number of check-ins last time and I am ashamed.  I would like to say I'll get around to more this check-in, but I'm already behind.

I have a new found respect for writing moms.  I don't have kids.  I'm not planning on having kids.  I'm a nervous wreck on my own, then add bouncing energy to the mix, and you have a grown woman curled up in a corner chanting to herself ... usually.  But I had my nieces over the holiday break, and I have to admit, they were just fine.  Even still, they were a major distraction.  They're picky eaters, but I am too, so we managed.  They're addicted to a game on the Play Station called Sims.  That kept them contained to one room for the majority of the time.  Yet, every time I sat down to work on the WIP, I just could not concentrate enough.  I missed nearly all of the sprints.  The few word counts that were actually mention worthy happened when my mom came over and hung out and sent me to my office.

My hubby and his friend took a road trip during their time off.  I don't like being home alone, and certain issues makes it less than advisable for me to be by myself (nothing major, just go figure I'd have an episode while everyone is out of town)  Anywho, so my mom stayed several nights with me and the kids stayed the whole time.  Mom got sick the second night, and then the kids didn't go home because their mom was sick as well.  It's fine.  I have a spare room set aside for that.  They kept the cats busy, loved feeding the tort and dragon, and didn't try sneaking out the front door.  That's great.

Then yesterday happened.  Cocoa was dumped in the living room (carpet and side of the beige chair), but was cleaned up, no problem.  Then lunch had a accident, and Mom came to the rescue with McDonald's nuggets.  Dinner was at my grandparents' house here in town, my dad's parents.  Yes, we made the kids go along.  Yes, there are plenty of rules at G&G's house, and manners are a must.  All survived.  We stayed longer than I expected.  When we came home, I sat down with my writing.  Then I was summoned to find a plane ticket.  Lengthy bidding game, ticket purchased, back to writing.  Nope.  Scour the internet for sales on jeans for the girls.  Nothing.  I did find, however, loads and loads of adorable coats.  Needless to say, I blew too much time on line.  Then something hit the house.  I thought a tree was blown over and slid down the side of the house.  Mom and I busted out the maglights and shovels (in case it was not a tree but something still moving) and found nothing.  Kind of freaked us out, but oh well, back to looking at coats.  Then there was a "small" fire in the kitchen.  It was contained quickly and with little trouble.  But then, with a storm going on outside, we had to open the doors and windows to ventilate the house.  It's still stinky this morning, but I'm happy it's still standing.

The kids went home a couple hours ago.  I've started laundry and cleaned the floors and bathrooms.  NOW I can get to the WIP.  Yay!  And congrats to all those who have already finished NaNoWriMo.  I'm happy for you and incredibly jealous at the same time.  I'm still loving the sprints and hope to have my time back with the group.  And in other writing news, I've found a publisher (besides the one I've been stalking for most of the year and is still not accepting submissions) that I'm trying to talk myself into submitting to.  It's actually not far from here, so I could even hand deliver if that gets brownie points (will even bring brownies).  But again, I'm the biggest chicken on earth.  I want to do it, but I'm scared to death about it.  I'd love for them to say "Yes", and what's lost if they say "No"?  It's not like they're going to see my work somewhere and go, "Hey, let's call this chick and see if she wants us to represent her."  It's more like, "So what's packed into our mailbox today?  It's gonna be a long day."  Yep, still a chicken.

I'm rambling.

Wednesday the 23rd - 2193
Thursday the 24th - 746
Friday the 25th - 1939
Saturday the 26th - 322 (Hey, kitchen fire.  Those are distracting)

Thanks to everyone for all the supports as of late.  It's very much appreciated.  This is such a great writing group :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Yes, I have no idea how people with children manage to get anything done... but I'm impressed that you actually managed to post anything with the exciting week you've had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did manage to write some, even if busy ... well done!
    And I have a daughter, so I do know how it is to get things done when all she wants is my attention lol
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could say things like, "my kids never misbehave", or "we always manage very well", but it would be a crock of s... Motherhood has given me a whole load of patience and it took my priority list to a brand new level.

    You were busy with your nieces and then exhausted after they went home but despite that you managed to write! That is absolutely awesome and I salute you :-)

    My kids are still young but, starting this year, both of them are at school all day. And one would think that I have several hours each day to write, but the truth is there are many other things that must get done "in between" (groceries, laundry, cooking, etc. etc.) - sounds tedious but we can't do without it.

    I think the organization is the key - I know mothers who are amazing in juggling their careers, kids, homework, volunteering at school, husbands, friends, housework and so on. I’m trying to be one of them, but it often sounds easier said than done. Despite my easy-going personality I sometimes find myself overwhelmed with all the parenting responsibilities, although I wouldn't have it any other way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those numbers are AWESOME, Wendy, and that's with company and a kitchen fire?! You get this week's Wonder Woman wrist bands, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like great progress to me, especially with kids afoot. I have three lovely, sweet (insane, distracting, menacing...) girls (11, 9 & 6) and they are leeches of time and quite frankly, patience. I love them, wouldn't trade them for anything, but I do find myself curled up in the corner chanting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a hectic Thanksgiving! I know what you mean as I don't have children but hope to....I don't know how I will have the time or the patience. I guess you just have to find them somehow!

    Well done you for writing at all with guests staying. You have easily slacked off completely but you tried and succeeded. Great word counts with those distractions. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete