Sunday, January 15, 2012

#Row80 Check-In 1/15

Nearly back on track.  I've been floundering (in case you haven't noticed) in my writing as of late.  It was my own fault.  I won't get into that.  But, I think I might be finding my way back.  My word count is maybe a few hundred for this check-in.  I've read over several WIPs and tinkered with editing.  I even tossed around a few hook ideas for a query.  I can't say that it stuck, but it's getting better.  I've been searching for cover art.  The perfect piece jumped out at me.  I'm not able to claim it at the moment, but I now have a more concrete goal to reach for.  The artist is one I've admired for some time.  I can pick her covers out of packed display without any problem.  I even bought a book I'd never heard of because of the cover art.  It was gorgeous.  But A&F is not quite to that stage yet, and I can't warrant investing that much in it for the time being.  One day.

In the determination to earn that cover art, I finally went back through A&F.  There are some parts that will stay, no questions asked.  Other parts need a bit of help.  I have two big plot holes in it.  One will be easier to fix than the other.  I know what goes there, I just haven't tried to make it fit.  The other hole is a bit more of a challenge.  I knew it would be when I skipped past it.  It's out of my comfort zone.  But I think the story will benefit from the scene.  Thus, I'll have to get over it.

I'm working on the scene that I got a little too frustrated with.  It's a chapter that steps out of Madison's shoes, and picks up from Skyler's POV.  I don't like head hopping.  Only, this scene needs to be shown from Skyler's view.  To go along with that, if you've read WtB, you know Skyler carries his regrets around.  It's kind of hard to explain.  That characteristic really, really bugs me.  But that's who he is.  I think I got tired of him thinking over the 'what if' side of things.  Dwelling on the past doesn't help with current situations.  Skyler's attitude got on my nerves.  Does that make any sense?

So I'm back with A&F.  It's been interesting.  Here's hoping to Skyler shaping up and me not being so grumpy about him.

My friend's surgery is tomorrow.  I'm nervous for her, but I know she is in good hands.  Her doctors are the best in their field.  They've done a good job of preparing her for all the possible outcomes.  She's still scared (understandably), but going in with her eyes open.  I admire that about her.  I wouldn't want to know all the details.  It's still early in the treatment phase.  There is a lot that's yet to be determined.  Yet, she and her husband have managed to keep their sense of humor intact and take their options as they come.  They'll be fine.

Oops.  Lengthy check-in.

3 comments:

  1. interesting you're getting impatient with one of your characters - don't they get under your skin in a fantastc way:)

    hope your friend's op goes ok

    all the best for coming week

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm - i wonder if doing a writing exercise would help you get around this scene. i just went to a workshop over the weekend, and they were highly recommending writing things on the side to get to the bottom of emotions/issues.

    best of luck writing this week, and hope your friend fares well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everything goes well with your friend.

    Oh, out of your comfort zone = really important scene. But you already knew that, and you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete