Thursday, August 23, 2012

Uncle

I think it's been awhile since I last blogged.  I've missed oodles of Row80 check-ins.  The only reason I can tell you that today is Thursday is because my Mac told me so.  Other than that, well, we'll see.

I don't remember everything that was said in my last post(s), but I do have a few updates.  The tests results came back awhile ago, but I was slow to admitting to it.  My grandmother died of West Nile Virus.  Both kinds, apparently.  Then again, there were multiple other complications that added to the problem.

My dad and grandpa are back from their road trip.  I regret not going with them.  They drove up to St. Louis, Farmington, and Noel, Missouri to see family.  I know it was a long drive, but St. Louis has been on my "Wanna Visit" list lately.  It would have been nice to see everyone.  I don't think I can remember the last time I caught up with all our family up there.

The tort is officially back in her tort-pool.  It took lots of tweaking, but it is now a tort-friendly environment.  Her old terrarium has been disassembled, cleaned, and now houses the dragon.  Now I just have to talk myself into cleaning out and packing up the dragon's old terrarium.  Both tanks have the same floor space, but the tort's was easier to work with.  And now that she is taking up even more space in the corner of my office, that freed up the people-friendly tank for the dragon.  The worst part was catching Joanna's crickets to transfer them to her new lodging.

Oh, good news!  We finally have reservations to go to the beach!  I'm excited.  I wonder if I can find a way to sand-proof my laptop.  I guess that means I'll be using the trusty notebook on the beach.

I made the mistake of going to the animal shelter to have a "look" at what was there.  I, of course, fell in love with a little kitten.  A Siamese mix with an uber-fluffy tail.  Six months old and she was already in rough shape.  I watched for awhile.  The majority of the other cats were getting all the attention.  I'm glad to say several were adopted while I was there.  But this little kitten stayed huddled in the back of her cage and stared back at everyone with big, blue, terrified eyes.  It was close to closing time, so I couldn't get much cooperation in finding out about her and the adoption process.  I went back Monday morning to check on her again.  She was still there, just moved to a different wall of cats.  Now she was hiding behind her litter box.  I finally found a person who knew about the animals available.  This kitten in particular was in a bit of a fix.  This is a limited no-kill shelter, which means if the dog or cat is spayed or neutered, it will not be put down.  If it is a stray and is slow to getting a forever home, it will be put to sleep.  The blue eyed kitten had already spent her first week there, was a stray, and had a few health concerns.  There is not a vet within the facility, so no one could give me definite answers about her.   She was young, small, malnourished, had respiratory problems, and was either in an early pregnancy or had recently had kittens.

It took everything I had not to take her home with me once I held her.  I knew Hubby would stroke out if I came in with another cat.  So I fixed him a big lunch and waited for him to come home.  I had already figured out I could chicken out of asking, go pick her up and say I found her, but if I've learned anything from being married to this guy for ten years (tomorrow), it's that we've grown to respect each other enough not to pull such stunts.  So I asked.  Maybe begged.  He said no and went back to work.  I admit I cried.  I aimed to wait until after he left, but all I could think of was that poor little kitten not getting another chance.  I wanted to go adopt her anyway and dare him to make a move, but the whole "ten years and respect" bit came to mind.

I got a call two hours later from him.  He went down to the shelter and had a look at the cat.  He spoke with one of the ladies who works there; someone he, as always, knew.  They talked for a little while and made a few calls.  He filled out the adoption forms and went back to work, calling me to tell me to go pick up my new cat.  (Yay Hubby!)  So the little sweetie came home with me.

I took her to the vet the next morning and got her checked out.  After an ultrasound, several blood tests, and a few other less pleasant moments for the kitty, the results were back.  No babies, no leukemia,  yes worms, and still waiting on one other test.  So she got her vaccinations and has an appointment to go back to be spayed.  She is still spending her time in the TV/library room since were still waiting on the last test.  I gave her a bath yesterday.  She wasn't too bad about it.  Now she's enjoying the quiet and hogging the futon.  So far, I've named her Rayleigh (Ray-Ray).  She is as calm and passive as Oliver.  Nothing seems to upset her.  She is content to be held, sit beside you, or sleep where ever she curls up.

Diesel is being a stinker and keeps trying to sneak into the room.  He even sits by the door and sticks his feet under it to play with her.  He doesn't seem to understand quarantine.  So I've blocked on door to keep him from reaching under, and the other has too thick of carpet.  Now he sits there and meows like he's telling her all kinds of stories.  Oliver, on the other hand, doesn't seem to notice anything different.  I hope he stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment